when will it end?
>> Friday, March 16, 2007
My heart is hurting for Zimbabwe. check out this, and this, and one more. Zimbabwe is a nation in crisis...
a burnt home (part of a relocation plan)a fuel queue (cars are left for days)
Karl and Josie - our hosts in Zim
Doug playing with some children on a seesaw

4 comments:
I'm so glad you posted these. Thanks for your comment too. The CityPresby had plans to organize a prayer meeting tomorrow (Sat) but it was declared illegal. They had to postpone it. So ridicilous! I keep laughing as I'm reading the news, you know, the nervous kind, horrified. It's all like a bad joke.
Hey! I know that this is totally un-related to your post (which really gets me excited to go to Africa, let me just say), but I wanted to let you know that Sarah had a her baby yesterday morning! She had a little girl, Adlien Elaine. I thought you would want to know and this is the only way I have to tell you. Hope all is well!
Jen - you're the best for telling me... thank you so much! I have been wondering of late - it's so good to know!!
Dear All,
We in Zimbabwe desperately need your prayers. The following news flashes are but just a little glimpse of what is taking place in some parts of Zimbabwe. At present all the police are on full duty call and are being told be be armed at all times. That means both dressed in riot gear and having live weapons. They are on high alert and tensions are running very high. The opposition are putting up what seems to be the strongest frontal push to oust Mugabe since the referendum in 2000. They are planning and calling for a stay away from Tuesday the 3rd of April until Thursday the 5th. The government is very aware of the power that they carry with the people.
Zimbabweans are facing greater economic pressure than ever before. Inflation is now over 2000% and not only are their salaries not keeping up with the inflation, but even the most basic commodities are doubling in price on an almost weekly basis. At the beginning of January (less than 90 days ago) the US was trading on the parallel market at Z$3000: US$ 1, today it is at $20 000:$1. It is so hard to explain the implications of just that fact to you all. One of the main ones though is that availability of hard Zim Cash is getting shorter and shorter. Public transport is not only short, but now unaffordable even to those people who are working. We have a situation where pensioners are committing suicide because they are unable to afford even the most basic food stuffs, many of them have to rely on soup kitchens for their meals.
Please can we ask you to send this to all your churches and ask for you to keep Zimbabwe very much in your prayers at this time.
Standing Firm In His Grace,
Craig, Mell, Brett and Dean
Post a Comment